AUD$7,200.00 – 2018
- Sail along Spitsbergen’s glacier-filled coastline
- Almost 24-hours of exquisite Arctic sunlight
- Spot polar bears, walruses, ringed seals and more
- Abandoned whaling stations and trappers huts
- Photograph delicate Arctic tundra flowers
- Large colonies of auklets, guillemots and puffins
Revel in the diversity of the Svalbard Island and sail into the kingdom of the polar bear.
We explore the coastline, with no open sea crossings, against a backdrop of spectacular glacier covered peaks. We discover deep fjords in the west; mysterious, fossil-rich desert plains in the east; and best of all, seals and whales in the Arctic pack ice. This voyage offers the best chance for seeing reindeers and polar bears, and features wildflower walks across sweeping tundra, trapper camps and historic sites.
On foot and by Zodiac, we visit abandoned whaling settlements, search for walrus, Arctic fox and reindeer and observe in millions of migratory birds, including little auks, guillemots and puffin.
1 – Longyearbyen
Enjoy a guided tour of colourful Spitsbergen’ capital Longyearbyen. Late afternoon sees us warmly welcomed on board Polar Pioneer.
2-3 – Magdalenefjorden
Wake up to spectacular alpine peaks and glacier valleys of Spitsbergen’s rugged west coast. In Magdalenefjorden we Zodiac cruise a safe distance from the aqua-blue ice cliffs of 14th July Glacier or Waggonway Glacier, and take long walks among summer flowers, alert for reindeer and Arctic fox. Thanks to the nutrient-rich Gulf Stream and relatively mild temperatures, Atlantic puffins and guillemots fill the cliffs. We look for bearded seals, with their precious curling whiskers. We may visit the remains of a 350-year old Dutch whaling settlement on Amsterdam Island and learn of an ill-fated ballooning attempt over the North Pole.
4-6 – Moffen Island & Woodfjorden
Rounding Spitsbergen’s northwest coast, we enter the Arctic Ocean and the world of pack ice. Ghostly beluga whales rise up in open leads and polar bears stalk ringed, bearded and harp seals. Offshore, walruses feed on clams or haul out on beaches, especially on Moffen Island, a walrus sanctuary. We visit trapper huts and stay alert for reindeer and Arctic fox. Delightful walks reveal delicious berries and some of the tundra’s 164 exquisite flowering plants including purple saxifrage, yellow spider plants and Svalbard poppies. If ice conditions allow, we attempt to cross latitude 80° north before turning south to Woodfjorden.
7 – 8 – Hinlopen Strait, Barentsøya and Edgeøya Islands
We attempt to pass through narrow Hinlopen Strait, a channel flanked by austere, cream-coloured slopes rich in fossils between Spitsbergen and ice-capped Nordaustlandet. This polar desert is a landscape eroded by severe frost. Even in summer, pack ice could bar our way, but there is much to strive for. We Zodiac cruise beneath Alkefjellet, sheer basalt cliffs rising at more than 250 metres – literally buzzing with some 200,000 nests of Brunnich’s guillemots. During shore excursions, we seek eider ducks, Arctic foxes and the elusive Svalbard ptarmigan. As we pass Barentsøya and Edgeøya Islands, we cross polar bear migration routes.
9 – 10 – Hornsund & Bellsund Fjords
This is true expedition cruising. If ice conditions allow, we round South Cape and sail north toward Hornsund and Bellsund, deep fjords home to stunning glaciers and wildlife. If ice bars our way, we simply adjust our itinerary, backtrack and delve deeper into the wonders of Spitsbergen’s north and west coasts.
11 – Longyearbyen
A midnight cruise of glorious Isfjorden returns us to Longyearbyen and the end of our voyage.
Longyearbyen – Longyearbyen
7th – 17th July 2018
17th – 27th July 2018
- Group transfer to and from airport to Polar Pioneer in Longyearbyen
- Group sightseeing tour in Longyearbyen on arrival (pre-voyage)
- Accommodation during the voyage onboard Polar Pioneer
- All meals, snacks, tea and coffee during the voyage
- All shore excursions and Zodiac (inflatable boat) cruises
- Educational lectures and guiding services from our expert team
- Access to our on board doctor and basic medical services
- Complimentary custom-designed polar expedition jacket
- Loan of gumboots during the voyage
- Daily cabin service
- Comprehensive pre-departure information and briefings
- Professionally-produced hard back voyage log
- Medical services on board
- Port taxes and charges
- All entry fees to historic landings sites
- Air transport to and from the ship, unless specified
- Airport arrival or departure taxes
- Transfers not mentioned in the itinerary
- Visa, passport, and vaccination charges
- Travel insurance or emergency evacuation charges
- Hotels and meals not included in voyage itinerary
- Optional excursions not included in the voyage itinerary
- Optional activity surcharge. Please contact us if you wish to book any optional activities, such as sea kayaking or polar snorkelling
- All items of a personal nature including but not limited to: alcoholic beverages and soft drinks, laundry services, personal clothing, medical expenses, gratuities, and email or phone charges
Download trip Dossier (PDF)
To Make a booking please contact us to enquire about availability.